ashthomas//blog: Kilgore Trout vs Kurt Vonnegut

ashthomas//blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Kilgore Trout vs Kurt Vonnegut

Some genius from Kurt Vonnegut:
TROUT: I’ve never voted in my whole damn life. I didn’t want to be complicit. But is it time I did?

KV: The planet’s immune system is obviously trying to get rid of us, and high time! But sure, go vote for somebody. What the hell.

TROUT: Everybody’s so ignorant.

KV: The overwhelming popularity of President Bush, in spite of everything, finally shows us what the American people, whom we have so sentimentalized for so long, a la Norman Rockwell, really are, thanks to TV and purposely lousy public schools: ignorant. Count on it!

...

KV: After the Second World War I enrolled in the graduate division of the Anthropology Department of the University of Chicago, the most conceited university in the country. And in a seminar for about eight of us, half of us vets on the GI Bill of Rights, my favorite professor, in fact my thesis advisor, put this Socratic question to us: “What is it an artist does?”


TROUT: Hold on: What makes Chicago so conceited?

KV: That it isn’t Harvard.

TROUT: Got it: That it isn’t high society.

KV: Bingo. Anyway, I’m sure we all came up with smart-ass answers, since a graduate seminar in any subject is a form of improv theater. But the only answer I remember is the one he gave: “An artist says, ‘I can’t do anything about the chaos in the universe or my country, or even in my own miserable life, but I can at least make this piece of paper or canvas, or blob of clay or chunk of marble, exactly what it should be.’”

It is funny that I ran across this piece tonight, as I was just discussing Vonnegut with Keith at work this afternoon. Or maybe, if time runs backward, we were discussing him because I found the article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home