ashthomas//blog: Brokeback Mountain

ashthomas//blog

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

We saw Brokeback Mountain tonight, and while it is, admittedly, a very well acted film that looks great, it is not, I think the marvellous script that everyone seems to think that it is.

My main problem with the script is that we are told that Jack and Ennis are in love, yet we are hardly shown it. There are little expressions of tenderness (touching of the face, comfortable spooning under the stars), but I didn't take away any sense of romance or deep love from them.

I understand that they are two men from a more conservative time and place, that they are fighting their own preconceptions of how a man should act and feel. I accept all that, and I was moved by the predicament of lovers separated by society and their fear of the reaction of their family and community. And I don't doubt that they loved each other. I just didn't feel that the love between them was shown as well as it could have been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home