ashthomas//blog: Oscar Reactions

ashthomas//blog

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Oscar Reactions

Obviously Crash's win as Best Picture has shocked quite a few people. Brokeback Mountain was clearlythe favourite, and when it won for Adapted Screenplay and then Director, I thought it was a lock-in. It was a huge surprise when Crash won.

I do think that Crash is a better film than Brokeback Mountain, although I think that Good Night, and Good Luck was the best of the nominees. Crash is certainly more ambitious n theme and narrative scope , and unfortunately it is that excess of ambition over ability that leads it to be a flawed film. Good Night, and Good Luck is like a perfectly crafted short-story compared to the sprawling social novel of Crash.

I was very glad that George Clooney won for something, although I would have liked it to be for Best Director as well.

And I wished Syriana would have won best original screenplay over Crash; I think it handled the inter-connectedness of the characters in a more subtle and challenging. and therefore more rewarding, manner. Where Crash's criss-crossing of lives sometimes felt forced, Syriana never condescended to the audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home